Few intimate accessories are as important in the bedroom as the lubricant you use. Whether it’s intended for personal play time, fun with toys, or a body-to-body connection, your lube is literally there to reduce friction and make sure things go smoothly and sensually.
There are plenty of different varieties of lubricant, with different bases, textures, and thicknesses. Finding the one that’s right for you (and your partner) can take your intimate experiences to a whole new level. This guide is designed to give you the pros and cons of some of the best products on the market so you can find your own best personal lubricant.
QUICK COMPARISION: BEST PERSONAL LUBRICANT
**Below, you’ll find more detailed reviews; you can also click the links above to check prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Review of the Best Personal Lubricants
K-Y Personal Lubricant Jelly
Literally a household name for decades, KY personal lubricant jelly is considered by many to be the industry standard. There are several different formulations. This one, the “jelly” style, is more viscous than KY liquid personal lubricant.
- KY Jelly is very easy to measure and due to the nature of the bottle and thickness of the lubricant, it’s practically spill-proof.
- KY brand lubricants are inexpensive compared to many other brands; it’s one of the best personal lubricant choices for someone on a budget
- It’s easy to clean up, and safe to use with toys and latex condoms.
- It doesn’t stay slippery as long as many other lubes.
- It’s not ideal for use in pools, tubs, or the shower due to how quickly it washes away when exposed to water.
- You may need to use more KY Jelly than you would other lubes to get the same effects, so cost savings may not be as good as anticipated.
Slippery Stuff Water-Based Lubricant Gel
Slippery Stuff is a paraben free formula that has been recommended by physicians for decades for personal and intimate use. It’s safe for use with condoms and toys and is an exceptional choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Great for intimate lubrication as well as for use as a massage “oil.”
- It’s very gentle and safe for skin.
- While it doesn’t last as long as some lube it does not become sticky, clumpy or otherwise unpleasant—it simply absorbs into the skin like a traditional moisturizer.
- It’s flavorless and odorless, making it an excellent choice for many different romantic situations.
- Slippery Stuff tends to become sticky with prolonged use, so although it’s delightfully slick stuff it requires frequent application. Once it becomes sticky, it dries out very quickly.
- Smaller sizes of the product come with an inconvenient flip top lid that’s prone to clogging, and may even require being rinsed under hot water to clean on occasion. It’s better to opt for a larger size that comes complete with a pump or to rebottle the product.
- It’s not as long lasting as some superior lubes in its price category.
Maple Holistics Natural Personal Lubricant
Maple Holistics has created a 100% natural personal lubricant that not only does a great job of enhancing intimate play, but is also soothing, moisturizing, and healthy for the skin. It contains organic aloe vera and carrageenan. It’s the best personal lubricant out there for those who are concerned about their lube containing natural ingredients.
- It does not dry out quickly or become tacky or sticky with prolonged use, so frequent application is typically not required.
- It’s packaged in a convenient tube that makes one handed use effortless. It’s also unlikely to spill.
- It’s ph balanced and safe for sensitive skin, and contains food-grade preservatives to ensure that it doesn’t cause negative health effects when applied to intimate regions.
- While fragrance-free, it does have a slight scent and taste, which some users find disruptive.
- Although it’s a great lubricant for those sensitive to the chemicals present in less natural products, a small percentage of people reported an unpleasant burning or tingling when using this lube.
Pjur Original Silicone Based Body Glide Personal Lubricant
Pjur is one of the first brands of to market a silicone based lubricant, and this super concentrated formula is one of its most popular offerings. It’s adored by many for its incredibly silky feel and long lasting lubrication.
- It’s hands down one of the most slippery, silky lubes available. Many consider it the best personal lubricant for this reason alone.
- It takes very little per application, and does not become sticky or dry out quickly.
- It’s ideal for use in water—it won’t rinse off quickly in the shower, pool, or tub.
- Like all silicone lubes, it’s not safe for use with silicone based toys.
- The bottle is cumbersome to use—it’s a screw top that lends itself to leakage and can be difficult to use with slippery hands. Consider rebottling this lube after purchase.
- Although it’s great for use in water because of how long it lasts, its nearly waterproof nature means that washing it off can be slightly intensive. It requires soap, warm water, and moderate scrubbing to fully remove if a generous amount has been used.
Liquid Silk Personal Lubricant
Liquid Silk Personal Lubricant, made in the United Kingdom, is a paraben free, water based lubricant recommended by physicians and beloved by many for its natural feeling texture. It’s one of the best personal lubricant choices available both for intimate play and restoring personal moisture.
- In addition to being an excellent personal lubricant, Liquid Silk is also a wonderful moisturizer that’s great for your skin.
- It’s a very long lasting lube, especially as compared to other water-based options.
- It has a light, silky texture that’s very close to the feeling of natural lubrication.
- It’s scentless.
- It’s slightly more expensive than other lubricants.
- While many love the light texture, some may find it to be thinner than they prefer. If you prefer gel or jelly style lubes, this may not be the one for you.
- Although it’s a water based lube, it does contain small amounts of silicone, which can be damaging for silicone toys.